I'm calling this segment of my blog: "What do you think?" Each day I'll ask a question and you can leave a comment about some ways you think we could combat the issue.
Today's topic is Illegal Immigration. How do you think we should handle it, and let's take it from a realistic standpoint there are some 10 million illegals already here, how do we handle that ethically and fiscally?.
Personally, I think right now there's nothing we can do about those already here, yes we can deport them, but I think this may hurt a lot of families that are mix legal/illegal. I also think it will hurt our economy because there won't be enough workers to go around.
Here's my suggestion on how we combat this problem.
1. We build a big huge Barrier or Wall separating America from Mexico, this wall should also go about 20 feet underground, to get rid of any tunnels, I would say maybe use concrete.
2. For those already here, give them legalization, if they can meet the following requirements:
- Learn English. By 2010.
- Get their GED /H.S. Diploma
- Get fingerprinted and sign a declaration that they will honor and sustain the law of the land, and live by it's precepts or lose their right to live here. Along with this, if they were criminally charged they would be required to serve their time then be deported.
- They would be required to get identification and documentation, and be empowered to report any kind of discrimination by employers. This would put them on the grid, so to speak. It would make it so they could be tracked for criminal activity, as well as for taxes and other issues.
If we give them some protection that they will be paid as well as everyone else on minimum wage, if we require documentation, we can then receive tax revenue off of them. 12 million extra tax payers could help out our national debt drastically.
I also think another reason for legalization and documentation is the threat of terrorists. With the influx of illegal immigrants our terrorism threat heightens. If every illegal in America is fingerprinted, and has their fingerprints and a dna sample put into a computer database, then if there are any threats we can better be able to follow up on them.
These are just some of my ideas, I believe that this is a huge issue though, that needs some discussion, so please feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions.
Thanks for reading!